Paediatricians provide care for children from birth to early adulthood on health. They specialize in diagnosis and treatment of a range of ailments including day-to-day illnesses, minor injuries and infectious diseases.
A paediatrician’s day may involve emergency work dealing with life threatening conditions such as cystic fibrosis to simply comfort worried parents who have brought their children to the hospital for a minor ailment.
Many paediatricians work in hospital environments, whereas others are capable of opening their own practices or work in a private office. Most of the time, paediatricians work a minimum of 60 hours per week, making it a highly demanding job that requires commitment and focus on research and medical development of children of all age group. Paediatricians specialize in treatment and medication that are made available for infants and children to assist them better by providing care that any child patient requires, regardless of whether they are struggling with an infection, a simple cold or a debilitating disease.
- In depth knowledge of physiology, pathology, pharmacology and paediatric medicine and surgery.
- Knowledge to diagnose and treat childhood injuries, diseases and illnesses.
- A desire to serve children (and parents) and a compassion towards others.
- To be able to engage children and gain their trust.
- To be able to handle the pressures and long hours of medical practice.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Emotional stability and self-confidence to make decisions in emergencies.
- A willingness to continue to keep up with medical advances.
- To be an astute observer of the entire gamut of bio psychosocial issues affecting the children in their care.
- Diagnosis and treatment of a variety of ailments specific to young people and track patients’ growth to adulthood.
- Diagnose, treat, and help prevent children’s diseases and injuries.
- Care for the health of infants, children, teenagers, and young adults.
- Provide regularly scheduled immunizations to infants and children.
- Minimum of 6 to 8 years of undergraduate and medical education followed by residency, licensing and certification.
The pay scale of a paediatrician ranges between AUD$30,000 – AUD$163,374 and the median being AUD$110,000.