Conduct medical laboratory tests to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease.
- Prepare tissue sections for microscopic examination.
- Examine and analyse samples to study the effects of microbial infections.
- Analyse samples of body tissues and fluids to develop techniques to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
- Advise medical practitioners on the interpretation of tests and methods for use in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
- Sets up steps and rules of laboratory medical testing.
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment.
- Maintain laboratory quality assurance and safety standards.
- Prepare scientific papers and reports.
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skills which commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to formal qualification.
The pay scale of a medical laboratory scientist is approx. AUD$76 453 annually.