Mechanical engineers participate in the planning and manufacturing of new products by performing engineering duties and developing, designing and testing mechanical devices.
- Perform engineering duties; develop, design and test mechanical devices.
- Write technical reports, handbooks and bulletins for use by staff or customers.
- Estimate time and cost to complete projects.
- Research, design and make recommendations based on appearance, safety, budget, and function.
- Bachelor’s in mechanical engineering, masters in engineering, or a related degree.
- The EIT exam and membership in a professional society and specific industry-related certifications may also be encouraged or required.
- Mechanical engineers must be skilled in the use of Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, and other software or technology as relevant to the specific position.
- Expert in technical problem-solving and communication skills and must be adept at project management, teamwork, and adhering to standard engineering procedures.
The pay package (in US dollars) of a mechanical engineer ranges between $17,200 – $122,553 and the median pay being $62,972.