Design and prepare specifications for chemical process systems and the construction and operation of commercial-scale chemical plants, supervise industrial processing and fabrication of products undergoing physical and chemical change, and investigate the properties of metals, ceramics, polymers and other materials and assess and develop their engineering and commercial applications.
- Document and strategize on how to reduce materials and process problems, including researching new materials.
- Consult on material choices, process recommendations, and interfacing with external laboratories.
- Investigate product failures and material problems, testing for and identifying manufacturing issues.
- Supervise and conduct materials testing and technical processes for the organization.
- Bachelor degree or higher qualification.
- In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
The pay scale of a materials engineer ranges between AUD$53,762 – AUD$197,265 and the median being AUD$70,169.