ICT Business and Systems Analysts work with users to formulate system requirements, develop system plans and documentation, review and evaluate existing systems, design and modify systems to meet users’ business needs.
Employment for ICT Business and Systems Analysts is expected to grow very strongly up to 2016-17. Employment in this large occupation (32 600 in November 2011) increased very strongly in the past five years and also in the long-term (ten years).
- ICT Business and Systems Analysts have a high proportion of full-time jobs (91.8 %). For ICT Business and Systems Analysts working full-time, average weekly hours are 40.3 (compared to 41.3 for all occupations) and earnings are high. Unemployment for ICT Business and Systems Analysts is below average.
- ICT Business and Systems Analysts are employed across several industries which include: Professional, Scientific and Technical Services, Financial and Insurance Services, Public Administration and Safety and Manufacturing.
- The mix of industries employing ICT Business and Systems Analysts is favourable for employment growth prospects.
This occupation may include associated occupations with varying tasks:-
- Working with users to formulate and document business requirements.
- Identifying, investigating and analysing business processes, procedures and work practices.
- Identifying and evaluating inefficiencies, recommending optimal business practices, system functionality and behaviour.
- Using project management methodologies, principles and techniques to develop project plans and cost, resource and manage projects.
- Taking responsibility for deploying functional solutions such as creating, adopting and implementing system test plans, which ensure acceptable quality and integrity of the system.
- Creating user and training documentation, and conducting formal training classes.
- Develop functional specifications for use by system developers.
- Using data and process modelling techniques to create clear system specifications for the design and development of system software.
- Acting as a central reference and information source, providing guidance and assistance in the system project decision making process.
The pay scale of an ICT Business Analyst ranges between AUD$86, 426 – AUD$134,000.
The pay scale of a systems analyst ranges between AUD$55,266 – AUD$92,021.