Food engineers provide the technological knowledge essential for the cost effective production and commercialization of food products and services.
Professional bachelor’s degree in food science, food engineering, agricultural science or some other related degree.
Types of hiring companies
Companies involved in food processing, food machinery, packaging, ingredient manufacturing, instrumentation and control, firms that design and build food processing plants, consulting firms, government agencies, pharmaceutical companies and health care firms.
- Research and development of new food, biological and pharmaceutical products.
- Development and operation of manufacturing, packaging and distribution systems for drug/ food products.
- Design and installation of food/ biological/ pharmaceutical production processes.
- Design and operation of environmentally responsible waste treatment systems.
- Marketing and technical support for food manufacturing plants.
Average salary in US dollars is $31,200 per year.