A database administrator’s main task is to maintain and support the large files that contain a company’s business information.
- Responsible to ensure that the information contained in the files is constantly available to the users of that information.
- Implements, configures and troubleshoots database instances, replication, backups, partitions, storage, and access.
- Responsible for monitoring and optimizing system performance using index tuning, disk optimization, and other methods.
- Responsible for setting user privileges within the database environment.
- Certification in database administration is required, although having a college degree is a big advantage.
- Proficiency in using the various database software packages such as RDBMS (Relational Database Management Systems) and the like.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the leading database software packages and utilities, and a proven familiarity with programming concepts.
- Utmost attention to detail and the ability to multitask.
The pay package of a database administrator (DBA) ranges between €13,685 – €75,454 and the median pay being €41,667.