- These professionals research, plan, design, develop, modify, evaluate and integrate computer and telecommunication hardware and related equipment, information and communication system networks including mainframe systems, local and wide area networks, fibre-optic networks, wireless communication networks, intranet, internet and other data communications systems.
- They are employed by computer and telecommunication hardware manufacturers, information technology consulting firms, government educational and research institutions throughout the private and public sectors.
Computer and telecommunication hardware engineers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Analyse user’s requirements, and design and develop system architecture and specifications.
- Research, design, develop and integrate computer and telecommunication hardware such as microprocessors, integrated circuit boards and semiconductor lasers.
- Develop and conduct design verification simulations and prototype bench tests of components.
- Supervise, inspect and provide design support during the manufacturing, installation and implementation of computer and telecommunication hardware.
- Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and clients.
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of engineers, technologists, technicians and drafters in the design and development of computer and telecommunications hardware.
Network system and data communication engineers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Research, design and develop information and communication system network architecture.
- Research, evaluate and integrate network system and data communication hardware and software.
- Assess, document and optimize the capacity and performance of information and communication system networks.
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of design professionals in the development and integration of information and communication system architecture, hardware and software.
- Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) Design Engineer
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Hardware Engineer
- Engineer, Computer Hardware
- Engineer, Telecommunication Hardware
- Fibre-Optic Network Designer
- Hardware Circuit Board Designer
- Hardware Design Engineer
- Hardware Development Engineer
- Hardware Engineer
- Network Systems Engineer
- Network Test Engineer
- Systems Designer – Hardware
- Technical Architect – Hardware
- Wireless Communications Network Engineer
- Computer Engineers require a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, electrical or electronics engineering, engineering physics or computer science.
- A master’s or doctoral degree in a related engineering discipline may be required.
- Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
- Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.
- Supervisory and senior positions in this unit group require experience.
Most of the opportunities are in Ontario.
The wages range from $20.00/hr. to $56.41/hr. as per the location.