Chemical engineers find solutions to problems such as pollution, world hunger, and energy demands. They also conduct research to develop new and improved chemical manufacturing processes that are more efficient and less harmful to the environment. They basically work indoors in laboratories, utilizing the newest and most advanced technology.
Chemical engineers will usually find themselves working in teams with other engineers. All of them may be specialized in different areas in order to cover all aspects of a project. A forty to fifty hour a week is what a chemical engineer works for. Their average work day consists of performing calculations and experiments, going over variables, and creating computer models. Chemical engineers perform density, gravity, and pressure tests at various stages of production in order to ensure accurate results. They are constantly faced with challenges that require innovative thinking. They are efficient with time and money, consistently evaluating the time and cost to complete projects. Since they work with dangerous chemicals, they are concerned with developing safety procedures for themselves and others working close to possible chemical reactions.
Most chemical engineering positions only require a bachelor’s degree, but leadership opportunities and higher salaries are available to those who have a master’s or doctorate degree. All types of industries employ chemical engineers, from food and textile companies in aerospace, electronics, and pharmaceutical companies. Chemical engineers can depend on finding consistent and challenging work in any field.
- Conduct research to develop new and improved chemical manufacturing processes.
- Perform density, gravity, and pressure tests at various stages of production.
- Develop safety procedures for those working close to possible chemical reactions.
- Estimate time and cost to complete projects.
- Bachelor degree or higher qualification is required.
- In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
The pay scale ranges between AUD$700 – AUD$2000 per week depending on their level of experience and the organization they work for.