Applies scientific, mathematical and cartographic design principles to prepare and revise maps, charts and other forms of cartographic output. Cartographers research, collect, collate and present information about geographical forms in visual representations such as maps, graphs, charts, plans and images.
They analyse field surveys, land use and land management data, aerial photographs and other geographic information to prepare these representations. They consult with clients to determine their mapping format, edit and revise the documents and prepare these documents for presentation or publication.
Cartographers work all over the state, carrying out tasks such as mapping potential mine sites to surveying our coastlines and other elements of the environment. Cartographers work in offices but may travel to survey the map sites, or to meet the clients. They usually work regular hours, but may be required to work long hours when working towards a deadline.
- Aerial Surveyor
- Geographic Information System Specialist
- Hydrographic Cartographer
- Map Maker
- Map Editor
- Production Manager
- An interest in geography and maps.
- Graphic, drawing and design skills.
- To be able to produce neat, accurate and detailed work.
- A good sense of visual awareness, including space and scale.
- To be able to work towards tight deadlines.
- Good colour vision.
- Create, maintain, and update visual representations of cartographic data.
- Create representations of specified terrain or areas by integrating collected data at a specified scale.
- Build and maintain geographical information databases.
- Collect, document, and analyse geospatial data, photographs, historical maps, and text documentation.
- Define quality standards and annotation to indicate quality of data used in map creation.
- Minimum of a degree qualification to enter into this occupation.
- Must complete a diploma or advanced diploma in surveying. This requires 10+2 with English and Mathematics.
The pay scale of a cartographer ranges between AUD$43,631 – AUD$94,799 and the median being AUD$65,033.