Bar managers are responsible for ensuring that all aspects of a bar operate smoothly. Their work settings range from standalone bars to restaurants to large venues such as hotels and stadiums. They perform a mixture of physical and analytical tasks as they accomplish their job responsibilities. Work tasks are basically divided into two distinct areas: personnel management and financial management.
- Review and manage inventory and finances.
- Interview, hire and train staff.
- Supervise daily bar operations and special event planning.
- Because of the variety of skills required for a successful bar manager, a college degree focusing on food service or restaurant management is often required.
- Extensive familiarity with the food and beverage industry through appropriate prior work experience is also commonly needed.
The pay package of a bar manager ranges between HKD$166,818 – HKD$435,787 and the median pay being HKD$261,265.