Automotive electricians install, maintain, identify faults and repair electrical wiring and computer-based equipment in motor vehicles. They may also work with related equipments such as caravans, trailers, Earthmoving equipment, mining equipment, marine applications and agricultural equipment.
Automotive electricians are usually required to wear protective clothing. They may have to contact customers. They usually work in a workshop for a self-employed automotive electrician, vehicle dealership, service station or a mine site.
- Enjoy practical and manual work
- Good eyesight and colour vision
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Able to approach work in a systematic and thorough way
- Able to keep oneself up to date with technological changes
- Good at technical activities
- Work with computer-controlled engine management systems.
- Service, identify and repair faults on electronically controlled vehicle systems such as electronic fuel injection, electronic ignition, anti-lock braking, cruise control, automatic transmission, airbags and air conditioning.
- Install electrical equipment such as gauges, lighting, alternators and starter motors in vehicles.
- Install electrically operated accessories such as radios, heating or demisting equipment, air conditioners, driving lamps and anti-theft systems.
- Use meters, test instruments and circuit diagrams to find electrical faults.
- Adjust engine control systems and timing to make sure vehicles are running at peak performance.
- Test, recondition and replace faulty alternators, generators, starter motors and related items such as voltage regulators and batteries.
- Repair or replace faulty ignition, electrical wiring, fuses, lamps and switches.
- Use hand tools, specialized electrical tools, instruments and machines, including drills, grinders, presses and lathes.
- Sell and install electrical parts and accessories.
- Install, repair and service air conditioning systems.
- Must complete an Automotive Electrical Technology apprenticeship.
- In some states to work as an automotive electrician, you need to hold a Motor Vehicle Repairers certificate.
The pay scale of an Automotive Electrician ranges from AUD$37,963 – AUD$117,480 and the median being AUD$55,726.