• (Board Line): 0044 (0) 208 610 9915
  • NRI to 57333
World's Favourite Immigration and Visa Company

Why study in Norway?

Norway offers a unique student experience and Norwegian institutions of higher education welcome applications sent by qualified students from all over the world.

Around 15,000 foreign nationals are currently enrolled at Norwegian institutions of higher education. International students may apply for admission to a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs. You may come to Norway as student through established exchange programs, institutional agreements or as a so called “free mover”, where you arrange the stay by yourself.

Courses & Degrees in NORWAY

  • Bachelor’s degree (three years)
  • Master’s degree (two years)
  • Ph.D (Three years)

Entrance Tests

English is often the language of academic research. NTNU requires its ordinary degree students to be proficient in English as well as Norwegian. Exchange students, and students pursuing an international master’s or Ph.D program generally do not need to comply with the university’s Norwegian requirement, but they do have to be able to speak English.

University’s Language Requirements are:

  • English Proficiency Requirements at NTNU
  • English Proficiency Testing (TOEFL / IELTS)

Entry Dates & Admission Deadlines 

  • April
  • August

Funds Required

There are no tuition fees at Norwegian higher education institutions, although fees may be imposed for certain professional education programs, further and special education programs and study at some of the private institutions. Cost of living grants is only awarded to international students accepted for selected fellowship programs. Self-financing students must document that they possess a minimum of NOK 80,000 (approx. EUR 10,000) per academic year.

The following types of foreign nationals are eligible for student loans and stipends:

  1. Nordic nationals
  2. Citizens of EEA countries
  3. Citizens of Central and Eastern European countries as well as developing countries
  4. Political refugees and persons granted residency on humanitarian grounds
  5. Immigrants

Norway Residence Permit – Student Visa

If you wish to study in Norway for longer than three months you must apply for a residence permit for students. You do not need a residence permit if you intend to stay in Norway for less than three months, but you must apply for a Schengen visa. A precondition for applying for a study permit is that you have been admitted to an officially recognized educational institution.

Working on your student visa

When you are granted a first-time student residence permit in Norway, you are automatically granted a permit to work part-time in addition to your studies. This allows you to work up to 20 hours per week and take full-time work during ordinary holidays (the period when the study institution has closed and/or during regular public holidays). However, when you apply for a renewal of your study permit, your work permit is not automatically renewed.

Your Dependents

If a member of your immediate family resides in Norway on a student permit, you may apply for a family immigration permit to come and live together with him or her. If you are granted family immigration with a student, you will also be entitled to work full-time for the duration of the permit. The permit does not, however, form the basis for a permanent residence permit (settlement permit). But the basic criteria must be met. To be granted such a permit, you must meet the following five criteria:

  • As a rule, the person with whom you are applying for family immigration must be a student at a higher level. This means a master or PhD programme at a university college or a university. The application will normally not be granted if the student has less than one year left of his or her studies.
  • You must be a member of the student’s immediate family. Persons who can be granted such a permit are children, spouses, cohabitants who have lived together for more than two years and cohabitants who have or are expecting a child together.
  • You must be ensured financial support and housing.
  • You must live with the person with whom you have been granted family immigration for the duration of the permit.
  • You must return to your home country when the student has finished his/her education.

After you Graduate 

After graduation, you can extend your visa for another 1 year.

Top Popular Universities/Colleges in Norway

– Norwegian University of Life Sciences (UMB
– Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
– University of Agder (UiA)
– University of Bergen (UiB)
– University of Oslo (UiO)
– University of Stavanger (UiS)
– University of Tromsø (UiT)
– BI – Norwegian School of Management
– MF Norwegian School of Theology
– Norwegian Academy of Music (NMH)
– Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration (NHH)
– Norwegian School of Sport Science (NIH)
– Norwegian School of Veterinary Science
– Oslo School of Architecture and Design (AHO)
– School of Mission and Theology
– The University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS)
– University Graduate Center (UNIK)
– Akershus University College
– Bergen University College
– Bodø University College
– Buskerud University College
– Finnmark University College
– Gjøvik University College
– Harstad University College
– Hedmark University College
– Volda University College
– Lillehammer University college
– Østfold University College
Molde University College
– Ålesund University College
– Narvik University College
Nesna University College
Nord-Trøndelag University College
– Oslo University College
– Sami University College
– Sogn og Fjordane University College
Stord/Haugesund University College
– Sør-Trøndelag University College
– Telemark University College
– Vestfold University College
– Haraldsplass Deaconess University College
– Norwegian Eurythmy College
– Norwegian School of Dance (DNBH)
– Norwegian School of Information Technology
– Norwegian Teacher Academy
– Queen Maud’s College
– Scandinavian School of Management
– School of Mission and Theology
– The Rudolf Steiner College of Education

For further details, please Contact Us or you can e-mail us on consult@y-axis.com. One of our representatives will get back to you at the earliest.